A CAR ACCIDENT ATTORNEY FOR YOUR PERSONAL INJURIES
If you have suffered injuries from a car accident, you may be able to file a personal injury claim against the other driver. A successful claim can help you recover money to cover your medical bills and lost wages, in addition to serving as compensation for your pain and suffering.
You can help your chances of success by taking the following steps:
- Hire an Attorney - A Houston attorney with experience in car accident claims can help you navigate the legal process. He or she can help you gather evidence to bolster your case, protect your interests and represent you in any negotiations or court proceedings.
- Watch What You Say and Sign - Do not have any further conversations with the other driver, their attorney or their insurance company without having your lawyer present. Do not sign any documents without your lawyer’s approval.
- See a Doctor - It’s not enough to say that you have been injured. You need qualified medical professionals to back up your claim and provide a record of diagnosis and treatment.
- Follow the Doctor’s Instructions - Comply with any treatment that your doctor recommends. If, for example, you hurt your back and your doctor tells you to stay out of work for eight weeks, don’t try to be a hero and return to work sooner. The other driver’s lawyer and insurance company could use this to try to prove that either your injuries weren’t that serious or that you bear responsibility for making them worse.
- Keep Good Records - Keeping good records are crucial to prevailing in a car accident claim. Obtain a copy of the police report, if one was filed. Save any medical records and expenses, including doctor’s notes and instructions. You will also need to be able to document any time you missed from work.
A Houston car accident attorney can help advise you of the merits of any case you may have. He or she can help ensure that your interests are protected and represented and give you the best chance of prevailing in any legal action.